Saturday 9 August 2014

Sydney Biennale Boycott Repercussions - for this writer- a huge fine


Well, no doubt the authorities are simply dying for me to write this, but my fines for having my car parked outside my house ( I could not park next to it off the road because the kerb was too high to drive over and the Newcastle council was not prepared to help me) have now escalated to almost $2000 even though I have been to court, long ago sold my poor car to the wreckers for $100 and was assured by the judge in my first court case that he agreed with me that I was Not Guilty as I had assurances from the council ranger that it was ok to leave my car until I had worked out whether to re-register and fix up (if I could get the money) or have it taken to the wreckers. Strangely enough the first fine notice was delivered the very same day that I went to Sydney to interview the international artists in the 19th Sydney Biennale boycott who were giving a talk at SCA. I interviewed them with the Refugee advocates and trauma counsellor they were working with to make their piece that in the end was shown at the Biennale (on my blog The Daily Fugue)- as the boycott was successful and Transfield sponsor managing detention centers using torture resigned. However Transfield is instrumentally involved in public transport and roads infrastructure and I am sure there are connections here. I am not scared. They can't bully and intimidate me in such a pathetic way. I feel sorry for them.

Ruth Skilbeck.

No comments: